School Logo

Welcome to Chiltern Primary School

‘Making Learning Irresistible’

Google Translate


Chiltern Primary School is a mainstream fully inclusive school which welcomes all children.




At Chiltern Primary we strive to support all children to enable them to achieve at school. We adhere to the graduated approach as outlined in the SEND CODE OF PRACTICE 2014.


Definition of Special Educational Needs & Disability

A child may experience learning difficulties arising from his or her cognitive abilities, general or specific learning difficulties, emotional and behavioural difficulties, medical or health concerns and sensory causes (visual, hearing, speech and language problems).  If a child has any of these difficulties throughout their life or at any particular point in time, s/he may be defined as having special educational needs and disability (SEND). Only if the educational provision for that child is in addition to or different from that of his/her peers, will they be included on the school’s SEND Register for monitoring purposes.


 What should I do if I think my child may have special educational needs or disability?


The class teacher is the initial point of contact for responding to your concerns.

The SENCo (Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator) and the Headteacher are also readily available to discuss your concerns either by telephone, appointment or letter. Please contact the School Office if you wish to make an appointment.


How does Chiltern Primary School know if my child needs extra help?

If a concern is raised by the parent/carer, teacher or child.

There is lack of progress

Poor assessment results

There is a change in the pupils behaviour

A child asks for help

They have medical needs


(If a child has a medical need there will be a medical plan supported by the relevant health care professionals. Health care plans are shared with relevant staff and risk assessments are completed and updated regularly).


How will Chiltern Primary School support my child?

Your child’s education programme will be planned by the class teacher and differentiated according to individual need. This may include additional general support by the teacher or teaching assistant in class. If your child has needs related to more specific areas of their education, they may be offered small group or 1:1 interventions, or catch up sessions in class. Areas of learning typically supported include:




Fine and gross motor skills





Speaking and Listening

Language and communication

Social skills

Play skills

Emotional/behavioural support programmes


The length of time of the intervention will vary according to need and the rate of progress. Progress is reviewed at least termly. If you have any queries related to the interventions please do not hesitate to contact the class teacher or SENco


What (outside) specialist services and expertise are available for my child?

At times, we may need to consult with outside agencies to receive more specialised support and advice for your child.  

Agencies used by the school include:

Speech and Language Therapist (SALT)

 Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS)

School Nurse

Educational Psychologist

Primary Behaviour Support Team (PBS)

Occupational Therapist (OT)

Physiotherapist (PT)

Specialist Teacher Advisors in Hearing Impairment (HI), Physical Mobility, Visual

Impairment (VI) and Communication & Language.

Outreach Support from Special Schools e.g. Maple Ridge

Inclusion Team

Children’s Services


How will you help me to support my child’s learning?

You will be able to discuss your child’s progress with their class teacher at any time during the term. The SENCo is also available at Parents’ Evenings as a separate appointment to discuss specific needs or concerns.

If your child has more complex SEND s/he will have a Personal Plan with agreed targets to meet your child’s needs.

 If your child has an EHC plan, their personal plan targets will be determined at the annual review each year with more detailed targets reviewed every 6 weeks.

Personal Plans are designed to be reviewed and updated regularly and shared with pupils and parents termly and will be discussed with you at a specific Parents’ consultation meeting with the class teacher.

Personal Plans are monitored by the class teacher and SENCo throughout the term and are updated as soon as targets are met and next steps identified.

Your child’s class teacher, the SENCo, and/or the Headteacher may ask to meet with you at any time to discuss strategies if there are difficulties with your child’s learning, behavioural or social, emotional or mental health needs. 

You will be asked for your consent if we would like to involve any outside agency with your child.

If an outside agency has been involved with your child suggestions are normally provided for you to use with your child at home.

Your child’s teacher is available at the end of the school day if you wish to raise a concern but it is advised to make an appointment if dedicated time is needed.

Please visit the school reception if you wish to make an appointment to speak with your child’s class teacher or the SENCo in more detail about any concerns you may have about your child.


Who is responsible for ensuring my child’s needs are met at Chiltern Primary School?

Your child’s class teacher is responsible for ensuring your child’s needs are met at Chiltern, through high quality teaching that is differentiated and personalised.


The SENCo is responsible for ensuring your child’s special educational needs are supported in school. The class teachers and the SENCo are supported by a team of LSAs. At Chiltern, the SENCo is a Senior Leader.


One of the Governors has a responsibility for SEND. The SEND governor meets with the SENCo termly to discuss provision, actions plans, and the impact of interventions on Pupil Progress as well as other SEND matters. 


The SENCo prepares regular reports for the Governors detailing the impact of interventions and other support offered, using anonymised data. An annual report is presented every July to the Full Governing Body on the status of SEND at Chiltern.


How will the curriculum be matched to my child’s needs?

When a pupil has been identified with SEND their learning will be differentiated by the class teacher to enable them to access the curriculum more easily. This might be through:

Providing additional resources.

       Setting achievable small steps by breaking tasks into smaller steps.

Pre-teaching or overlearning of concepts.

Working in a small group or 1:1 with an LSA or teacher.

Regularly checking on progress, ensuring your child understands the task.

Communication with other staff to ensure a consistent approach to understanding your child’s needs.

Making reasonable adjustments to the classroom, and providing any specialist equipment e.g. writing slopes, concentration cushions, pencil grips etc.

Some children need short term catch up sessions in class and not lengthy interventions.

A child with complex SEND that cannot be met through class differentiation will have a Personal Plan.

The Personal Plan is kept by the child’s teacher and a copy shared with parents termly. This is closely monitored by the class teacher.



If your child has long term needs other forms of assessment might be used such as:

Hampshire Play Profile.

Language Links

BPVS (British Picture Vocabulary Scale)

DEST ( Dyslexia Early Screening Test)

6 Strands for Behaviour


How is the decision made about the type and how much support my child will receive?

These decisions are made in consultation with the SENCo and class teacher. As parents and pupils, your input is vital.

Decisions are based upon information gathered about your child from termly tracking of pupil progress, assessments, advice from external agencies etc.

From this information the school will tailor a package of support to match your child’s specific needs. If we feel your child needs extra support in school we will discuss this with you as we may ask you to help your child at home too.


Will my child be included in activities outside the classroom, including school trips?

 Activities and school trips are available to all children. 

Risk assessments are carried out and procedures are put in place to enable all children to participate safely. 

However, if it is thought that an intensive level of 1:1 support is required, a parent/carer may be asked to accompany their child during an activity.

At lunchtimes, specific vulnerable children will have a named adult to go to if there are any concerns. This adult will also oversee the child’s experiences at break times, ensuring they can access as many play opportunities as possible.

At Chiltern we also deploy our own LSAs and staff to supervise lunchtimes. This ensures that during break times and lunchtimes all adults are already familiar with vulnerable children and their needs, and understand how best to meet those needs.


What support will there be for my child’s overall well-being?

Members of staff, such as the class teacher, LSA’s and SENco are readily available to discuss issues and concerns.

Your child may participate in a language and or social skills group

If your child requires intimate care, we will discuss their needs with you and develop a plan to support them.

Prescription medication will be held in school if required and dispensed according to medical advice. A signed Medicine Consent form needs to be in place which records time and dose given to ensure the safety of both child and staff member. Parents will be informed of any medication given and the details of this.

At Chiltern we monitor attendance very carefully because if your child is not in school this will affect his/her learning. The Family Link Worker or Headteacher meets with parents to support attendance and punctuality, if necessary.

Chiltern Primary School has a clear behaviour policy, and an inclusive attitude to ensure all children develop appropriate learning behaviours. Clear sanctions are shared with your child to support him or her making correct decisions. 

Exclusions, internal and external, will be used as a last resort if your child chooses not to make correct choices, which interferes with the learning of others and themselves.

Your child will be encouraged to participate in all aspects of school life, including roles of responsibility and school councils, where their views will be sought in a proactive manner.


What training have the staff supporting SEND had or what training are they having?

All LSAs and teachers have an induction into SEND at Chiltern as well as ongoing support in order to deliver the interventions and provision. This is in the form a training programme, a staff handbook and a SEND guide.

Our SENCo, Mrs Smith, is a fully qualified and experienced primary teacher. She has taught within mainstream schools and SEND resourced provisions. She has a Diploma in Specific learning difficulties and specific training and experience in the Autistic Spectrum Condition.  As well as responsibilities for SEND, Mrs Smith also oversees Inclusion, Designated Lead for Looked After Children and senior management responsibilities across the school. The SENCo has direct access to a network of external professionals and professional training to access resources, people and services to support your child. We also have access to Hampshire County Council advisors for SEND to support the development and improvement of provision at Chiltern.

There is a dedicated LSA fully trained in delivering Speech and Language programmes.

Additionally one LSA who is a trained ELSA (Emotional Literacy Support Assistant).  

Our Governors are also trained in understanding policies and procedures related to SEND.


How accessible is the school environment, both indoors and outdoors?

As a school we are happy to discuss individual access arrangements. Facilities we have at present include:

The building is wheelchair accessible on the ground floor. Doors are wide enough to accommodate a wheelchair. 

The upstairs part of the KS2 area is not wheelchair accessible. If a child in a wheelchair was to be taught in a class which was previously upstairs, this class would be relocated to a ground floor room.

There is a disabled toilet in the KS1 area, which also includes a shower. We have two disabled parking bays in the school car park, although these are also available to visitors to the Children’s Centre or Star Nursery.


How are parents/carers involved in the school? How can I get involved?

You are encouraged to become involved in your child’s education.

The School’s Reporting Systems and Parents’ Evenings are valued as ways of raising concerns about pupils and for planning how best to support a pupil.

If your child has an Personal Plan these set objectives and targets which need pupil, home and school to work together.  

Your child will have a copy of their Personal Plan, which is kept in school. Teachers and parents will also have a copy of Personal Plan. As parents/carers you are encouraged to comment on your child’s plan with possible suggestions that could be incorporated.

If your child has an Education Health Care Plan the Statutory Annual Review is an opportunity for parents, pupil, teaching and support staff to meet, sometimes with representatives from outside agencies and the Local Education Authority. 

The Headteacher, class teacher and SENCo are all readily available to discuss parental concerns either by letter, telephone or by appointment.  

Sometimes we use a ‘Home to School Communication Book’ if we feel it is helpful for you and your child.

Parents are asked to help pupils organise and to complete homework, this includes provision of reading, spelling, and other materials for extra practice at home. 


How does Chiltern Primary School prepare and support my child to join the school, or transfer to a new school?

Many strategies are in place at Chiltern to help your child’s transition to be as smooth as possible.

These include:

Liaison with pre- schools and secondary school.

Home visits

Transition partnership agreements and /or planned transition meetings.

Additional visits can be arranged.

Secondary school staff come to Chiltern and meet Y6 pupils prior to them joining their new school.


Who can I contact for further information?

Headteacher 01256 473791.

SENCo 01256 473791.

Class Teacher

Home School Liaison Manager

Core Assets:

School Nurse


What is the process for making a complaint?

Chiltern Primary School will always endeavour to keep lines of communication open to allow you to air any concerns you may have regarding the support we are offering your child. We promise to listen carefully to your concerns, and will address them in a timely manner through further communication or by drawing up a plan to address any issues you may have.

In the first instance, please address your concerns in writing to the Headteacher, who will then meet with you. If you are still not happy with the way we have dealt with your complaint you can make a formal complaint to the Chair of Governors. Following our complaints procedure the school will hold an initial investigation and will endeavour to find an appropriate solution. 

A copy of the complaints policy can be requested at the school office.


Where can I find the Local Authority Local Offer?

You will find information about the Local Authority Local Offer at:


This SEND Information Report has been put together by the SENCo, Mrs Clare Smith,  Headteacher, Mr Nathan Gazzard and the SEND Governor. 

Parents are invited to comment on this report and to discuss SEN matters at Chiltern Primary School, if they wish to do so, by contacting the SENCo/Inclusion Manager on 01256 473791.


Date implemented: September 2022

Date for review: September 2023